Thursday, December 4, 2008

Restless


My restlessness got the better of me this evening and I finally gave in and took a walk. It was about 8:30 when I left, so it was dark and cold outside, which was exactly the way that I wanted it. I am guessing that it was about 15 degrees outside and the sky was clear with only a sliver of the moon, and a handful of the brighter constellations. The moment I stepped outside I could smell the strong scent of wood smoke on the crisp air which pleased me because it reminded me of Alaska, the place I love, though not as genuine. At home when I go outside on this kind of night there is pure silence. The world is cloaked in a heavy blanket of snow and its just me and eternity. The crunch of my own footsteps in the snow is all I can hear and it is then that I can feel most, the presence of a great and glorious being. Though I am a solitary person in the vast wilderness of Alaska I know that I am not alone. This is one of those moments that I enjoy experiencing over and over again. I typically prefer warmer weather but I do enjoy the cold at these times; when the air nips at your cheeks and the cold creates a feeling of refreshment and energy. Because I am not in Alaska right now I didn’t quite get the full effect of the serenity that I was seeking. There were buildings all around me, the headlights of vehicles staring me down, and people coming and going, causing silence to retreat.
During the course of my walk I wanted the chance to think, ponder, and contemplate. It was one of those moments where the core of me wanted enlightenment but I did not know how to seek it, or for what I was searching. My mind seemed to veer away from any deep thought but I was still able to enjoy a peaceful walk in the night. I was able to refresh myself physically and ease my restlessness to an extent, though I still feel a drive to discover.

2 comments:

Vae Gannon said...

Yay! you started writing on your blog again. This made me miss Alaska. I was talking to this girl the other day, and I tried to explain to her why I love isolation, and my explanation was very similar to this.

It almost sounds like we're brother and sister.

Analei said...

And the northern lights would be overhead and for some reason (probably clean air) you can see way more stars in Alaska....